When I first received the Dry Transfer “_________” Edition as part of my COLORS subscription, I didn’t really know what to think of it. The idea of customizing the cover was cool but I didn’t have any immediate use or ideas. It just seemed like a big commitment, too, using up the letters that came with the kit. (I may have commitment issues.)
But I got over it at some point and made two Field Notes of my own! Happy Notes and Three Staples. Yay?
What’s unique about this edition is that the memo books came with “FIELD NOTES” logotype omitted from the front covers, so you can title them yourself with the dry transfer letters. The packaging is also unique, obviously, to accommodate various items necessary for rubbing down the letters, including a wooden stick. For the smaller, black text that wasn’t omitted, a glossier ink was used, so that it matched the look of the transferred letters. Such attention to detail is not surprising by this point for Field Notes (but still very much appreciated!). Other than the packaging and the customizability of the cover text, the Dry Transfer edition is pretty much the same as the “Original” kraft memo books. The “Practical Applications” inside are the same, too.
Interestingly, the books do not come bound by a belly band. I’m pretty sure the Packet of Sunshine edition was the first COLORS to not have a belly band. If someone luckier than me can confirm that, that’d be appreciated!
Some fun (for me) details:
- Dry Transfer “_________” Edition (Spring 2011) is 10th in the COLORS series.
- Dry Transfer KIt is labeled FN-11, and the Application Template is labeled FN-11B.
- Edition size: 15,000 books printed in March 2011
- Cover paper: French Paper Dur-o-Tone 80#C in “Packing Brown Wrap”
- Text on cover: “Dachshund Nose” black soy-based Toyo ink
- Graph grid inside: “Double Knee Duck Canvas” light brown soy-based Toyo ink
- Paper inside: Finch Opaque Smooth 50#T “Bright White”
- Staples color: silver
- Film: Dry Transfer Edition Instructions featuring Mr. Bedell!
- DEAD TO ME (as suggested by Jim Coudal in this recap video)
- SHIT LIST
- SHIT LIST 2
- YAHTZEE SCORES
- SIDE QUESTS
- DUNGEON MAPS
- HOPES N DREAMS
- DOUBTS N REGRETS
- CRESCENT FRESH
- RAMEN RANKINGS
- EBAY SIGHTINGS
- FOR SCIENCE