Have you received your pack of the “M × L × B × D” Edition? Here are some pictures of the two 3-packs that I purchased from the Field Notes website. FYI, unlike most of my previous Field Notes posts, this will be mostly photo-centric, with just a few observations and notes from me. You can find more details on this edition at the links listed near the bottom of this post.
I've been using one for daily notes and I like it a lot. At first, I thought the DDC “Totally Turquoise” graph grid inside could be too contrast-y for my writing, but since I've begun to use thicker pen tips with Field Notes (0.5 mm and higher), this has not been an issue. Other observations:
- The turquoise foil on the cover is just gorgeous. I'm a fan of foil-stamped editions. :) By the way, product description calls this “Babe the Blue Ox” foil, but the specs printed on the back cover say “Totally Turquoise”.
- As in other DDC issues, the front inside cover has a DDC pattern all over it, but this time it’s a diagonal pattern (loop of the text “DDC × MONDO × LANDLAND × BURLESQUE”). A very dynamic detail that I like a lot. You can also find this pattern on the inside of the belly band, printed in matching turquoise foil. Swoon.
- The cover paper is French Paper Construction 100# in “Recycled White”. We saw this previously in Day Game.
- The DDC-branded editions usually use Accent Opaque 50# for the body paper, and this “M × L × B × D” edition is no exception, specifically in “Absolutely Alabaster”. The DDC Pop-Up edition and the Dead Print edition also list this exact same color.
- The edition size is 11,500 3-packs. That seems like a lot for a special edition. For comparison, Resolution (the latest quarterly edition) was 35,000 packs.
- Has a DDC-branded edition (item no. “DDC-054”) ever been sold through the Field Notes website before? It’s interesting because my memory says no.
- My order of 3-packs from FN came with a free pencil: their new red Valentine’s Day pencil. It was a nice surprise, as I was under the impression that it would be included with orders placed during the following Valentine’s Day week. Yay!
What are your thoughts on this edition? Any interesting details you noticed or would like to share? I hear it's nicknamed the “alphabet soup” edition. 😄 And that if you order from Burlesque, you get a mini print..? How many 3-packs did you end up getting and are you happy with the ones you received? Each vendor had a limit of 2 packs per household, so I just got 2, and I'm satisfied the variety I got. There was a set of duplicates but that made my decision on which to use first easier. 😊