When Field Notes released Resolution last November, the white Date Book in that edition instantly reminded me of “Hardball White” memo book from Day Game, their 15th quarterly edition from Summer 2012. Both books have matte, white covers with red foil-stamped text, and Day Game being one of my favorite Field Notes editions, I couldn’t resist putting them side by side for comparison.
What we see here are:
- Day Game “Hardball White” cover: French Paper Construction 100#C in “Recycled White”
- Resolution Date Book cover: Mohawk Vellum 80#C in “Carnival Stellar White”
Pretty close! But the white in Day Game looks slightly warmer. Granted, the Day Game book shown here is a used copy, most likely dirtied over time, but I pulled out a brand new one, and it still looked slightly warmer. Interestingly, I can’t really tell the difference in the paper thickness, even though it’s 80#C vs. 100#C. As for the foil-stamping, maybe the red in Resolution looks slightly lighter?
Other noteworthy differences:
- Resolution is printed with dotted lines on the front (for dates and such), while Day Game has a small home plate design on its back cover.
- Resolution features black staples, while Day Game is stapled with silver-colored staples.
- The inside cover in Resolution is printed in medium gray. Day Game is printed in “Pinstripe Blue” ink.
- Resolution is a 56-page date book; Day Game is dot graph grid with 48 pages.
- The body paper in Resolution is Domtar Earth Choice Vellum 60#T in “Gray” (previously seen in Lunacy), printed with “Frost White” and medium “Winter Sky Gray” inks. In Day Game, it’s the classic Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 50#T “Bright White” printed with “Double Knee Duck Canvas” light brown ink (what you see in many older Original kraft memo books).
I’m a big fan of this white + red combination, so I was really happy to see it again in Resolution. I imagine it was a welcome release for those who missed out on Day Game, too. I like that Field Notes is giving a taste of their classics to the newer fans, unintentionally or not. What are your thoughts on Resolution’s Date Book?
- I wrote about Day Game some time ago here.
- Another old post on white Field Notes: Field Notes Color Comparison: White
- Field Notes Resolution Review — Lead Fast
- Field Notes Resolution Edition Review — The Finer Point