Northerly is the 13th edition in the Field Notes COLORS series, and I actually found it at a local store so I was able to see it before buying it. Success! Unlike the previous winter edition, Balsam Fir, Field Notes got these books ready in time for the Christmas shopping season, and Northerly became the 2nd fastest selling edition after Raven’s Wing, at least up until this 2011 recap video was taken.
Northerly is the first COLORS to get a coated glossy cover, Mohawk/Smart Kromekote in White to be exact. It is not what I expected at the time but it’s definitely appropriate as a winter edition. But because it’s white and glossy, any dings or stains really stand out, I found out. I don’t remember carrying my Northerly around that much but the edges are noticeably dirtier, especially the spine, and it has scratches and dents in varying sizes all over it. Compared to my other used Field Notes, it definitely looks beat up.
Not that that’s a bad thing. :)
Northerly is also the first to get the FIELD NOTES logotype embossed on the front cover (the type is raised up from the surface, not down like Raven’s Wing or Fire Spotter). It’s printed in “Icy Silver” metallic ink, and even the belly band is silver-colored to match the books. While I love the white + silver combination, I don’t think I like embossing as much as I like debossing. I don’t know. Must be a personal thing.
Another interesting change in Northerly are the pages inside. It is the first time pages inside are colored, in this case light blue-gray printed on white paper, with non-printed areas making the white grid lines. Inverted graph grid!
I really enjoyed writing on the blue-gray pages, even though the white grid lines were a bit hard to see. With black ink added, the grid is almost invisible but I don’t mind that so much. I’d rather take the barely-there lines over dark, overwhelming lines.
Interestingly, Cold Horizon, another winter edition later in 2013, also features glossy cover and colored pages inside (but not inverted graph grid).
Some fun (for me) details:
- Northerly (Winter 2011) is the 13th edition in the COLORS series.
- Item number: FN-01
- Edition size: 18,000 books printed in November 2011
- Cover: Smart Kromekote 14pt C2S in “White” embossed with logotype; printed with “Icy Silver” soy-based Toyo ink
- Paper inside: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 50#T in “Bright White”, the usual
- Inverted graph grid inside: light blue-gray soy-based Toyo ink printed on white
- Belly band: metallic silver with mostly white text (there’s some black)
- Extras/Add-ons: none
- Staples color: silver
- Film: The Northerly Edition
- Film: Seasonal Limited Editions Winter 2008–Winter 2011 (it’s a quick recap!)
My favorite Practical Applications:
- #02. Snowball Fight Attack Formations
- #25. Caroling Set Lists
- #27. Egg Nog Mixers
- #30. More Reasonable Resolutions